- Black Beluga Lentils look like caviar when cooked and are delicious as a side dish
- They are excellent in soups and salads, and are higher in amino acids than French, green, or red lentils
- These tiny lentils are indigenous to Syria and have been eaten for over 8,000 years
- They have a mild, earthly flavor and soft texture. Lentils are one of the few legumes not to presoak
- Each package contains 1lb of Barry Farm Brand Black Beluga Lentils
Love these lentils!
A 1/2 cup serving is about 100 calories with zero fat. You also get 4 grams of Fiber, with is very important in your diet. Along with 6 grams of Protein. Wow, fat free protein!
In a large stock pot cook a half package of bacon ends and pieces, when the bottom of the pan starts to brown and the bacon is nearly done add about 1/3 of a bottle of cheap merlot wine and get the bacon unstuck from the bottom next, chop two or three leeks ( green tops and all! ) and add those to the bacon/wine debauchery that is happening, add your conveniently packaged and delivered (and recently rinsed) Barry Farm lentils. Cover with enough water that the lentils rest under about half an inch of water. Add salt, pepper and herbs de Provence set on a medium low heat – cover for a soup, it should be ready in a little less than an hour- or – cook uncovered for about an hour for a more robust lentil side dish or some bed-for-my-salmon main course action. Quick, easy, almost healthy (curse my love of bacon !) and de-lic-ous enjoy!