- Enter your model number above to make sure this fits.
- Ships anywhere within the U.S. except to Arizona, Hawaii & Alaska
- Blooms from March through June
- Shiny, Dark Foliage; Fragrant, White Flowers
- Grown in Carefully Controlled Conditions
- 4 Years Old
- 8 to 10 Inches Tall
pot shattered!!!! no replacement available!
not even worthy of one star
COMMON GARDENIA PROBLEMS and their solutions
1. These are tropical plants, zone 8-11, and don’t thrive below 50-59 degrees. Everything i’ve read says to protect from drafts, give them LOTS of light (Southern Exposure), using a grow light, or florescent light in the dead of winter if nessacary. If you have it on a windowsill, you might turn it around, so the back faces front from time to time. MAKE SURE IT DOESNT GET TOO HOT OR COLD.
2. As tropical plant, THESE PLANTS REQUIRE HUMIDITY. More humidity than you will get with a humidity tray placed under your pot. I’ve sat a tray of water next to the plant as well. This is obviously a big problem in winter in the north, where dry houses are common fron central heating. PLANTS WONT FLOWER WITHOUT PROPER HUMIDITY. (or the flower buds drop off, right before flowering.)
3.DO NOT MIST. The people who complain of yellow spots on their leaves, got those spots from either allowing water to sit on the leaves, or from misting the plants. Misting also leads to leaf rot. Obviously these are VERY TEMPERMENTAL PLANTS. You need to provide enough water, too little or too much, and your leaves will drop off. Water less during the winter, and keep well watered in the growing season, and hot, sunny weather.
4. FERTILIZE the plant with an azalea plant food (ACIDIC/high nitrogen). Do this in the spring, dropping to a low nitrogen food in the summer. I’ve read that the plants enjoy getting fed thru their leaves once, during the spring.
5. INSECTICIDES. The gardenia gets scale insects that suck the sap, also white flies and aphids. You can pick off the bugs if just a few. I’ve seen people use flypaper to grab gnat like pests, tho a weak insecticide if you have too many bugs to pick off by hand. Gardenias can also get mildew, from the high humidity, which will require removing the infected leaves, and even using a fungicide if nessacary.
6. PRUNE this bonsai only if it’s lost all shape, and then after flowering, careful not to remove next season’s buds. Stems with 6-7 leaves, can be trimmed by hand back to 3 leaves. Repot them in early spring, making sure the soil has NO LIME (acidic soil lover), and is free draining and fertile. Personally, I think you can get away waiting til the plant is completely pot bound.
TAKE NOTICE! These plants need a fairly constant tempurature, tho some writers say they can require cooler nigthtime tempuratures. These plants are so tempermental, that even moving them around, can cause them to have problems. Its no joke that plants appreciate prayer and gentle talk, tho that might be because you are close to them, breathing CO2 on the plant, which they breathe in. It’s not a bad idea to research these plants on line, where you’ll find lots of websites filled with gardenia suggestions, youtube videos, and helpful hints. GOOD LUCK BONSAI LOVERS!
Nice, healthy bonsai!
So far it’s still alive
This plant came well packaged and bonsai plants give you luck if you believe in Feng Shui. This seller ships fast and packs the plant well. I will definitely order again another bonsai plant for our living room. I wish they would sell more variety though.
Very good experience.