- Mugicha, or barley tea, is typically served over ice and is a Japanese summertime favorite
- The tea bag is designed to work in cold water
- An aromatic, toasty brown blend of light and deep roasted barley
- Aluminum pouch seals in natural aroma and flavor
- Each box includes sixteen 0.31 ounce tea bags, each tea bag makes 1 quart of mugicha
A great summer drink: sweet, nutty and caffeine free
Our sons, ages 8 and 7, like mugicha. We don’t buy Kool-Aid or other powdered drink mixes that require added sugar. Our family of four consumes at least a pitcher of the tea every day in the summer, so one package lasts about one month.
Last summer, we purchased Hasegawa Juhyo Mugicha but it is currently unavailable at Amazon. It was good though, so I wrote a five-star review for that brand. The price was reasonable, less than $9.45 for 51 packs, or roughly 38 cents for a two-quart pitcher.
House Mugicha is about the same price, a five-package order costs $15.94 through Amazon’s Subscribe & Save program. Each pack contains 16 tea bags (each making one quart of tea), which comes out to 40 cents for a two-quart pitcher.
Rating: 5 stars.
Barley tea, the perfect summer drink without calorie and caffeine!
The taste of Japanese summer!
Wonderful aroma, robust flavor!
I only see one ingredient listed on the box: Barley. Manufactured by House Foods Corp in Tokyo, Japan.
UPDATE 9/6/12: I’ve been brewing this tea at least twice a week. I find placing one tea bag into my coffemaker is so convenient for me as it is enough to fill a 10 cup carafe with strong flavor within minutes (not watered down and faster than cold steeping). For any left over hot tea, I let it cool down to room temperature and place it in the fridge for a refreshing drink anytime. My highest recommendation for this tea is using clean, great tasting water as it really makes a difference. Hope this helps.
Note: Directions say “1 quart” but, it will easily brew 2 for each bag.
Great for summer!
Healthy, tasty tea. Good sweet or unsweetened, hot or cold.
* Flavor – Don’t use more water than instructed for each teabag. It’s got a subtle, nutty flavor.
* Caffeine-free. One cup of tea or coffee can keep me awake all night, so this keeps me from wrecking my sleep schedule.
* Lots of health benefits (I won’t go into it here, but you can Google for info.)
* Good hot or cold. In winter, we keep a pot on the stove and drink it all day. In summer, it’s great refrigerated.
* Sweetened or unsweetened. You can make this tea appealing to kids by sweetening; we use a mixture of brown sugar and Splenda No-Calorie Sweetener with Fiber.
Can’t think of any!
We’ll be needing to move up our next Subscribe & Save shipment!